Sunday, November 23, 2008

Birthdays on a Personal Level...


I celebrated my birthday this past Friday (Nov 21) at my parent's home about 6hrs from Nashville. I come from a teeny tiny town, and don't get home often, so I was pretty pleased that it worked out that I was able to spend time with my family there. The best part about birthdays? I'm torn between gifts and the cake... The older you get, the fewer gifts you receive, so for the foodie in me (and YOU), I guess we'll focus on the CAKE!

Being from a small town, we didn't (and they still don't) have many options for food and sweets, especially anything "gourmet". I don't care too much for grocery store cakes, so imagine my excitement to learn that Angie's, the bakery from my childhood, is still open after all these years- and her cakes are as fabulous as ever! That is one of my favorite cakes, and this small-town, country baker could rival ANY of the top bakers across the country. Her cakes and cookies are THAT good. They definitely take me back some years...

The cake itself was simple- a quarter white sheet cake (this is the ONLY time a quarter sheet cake is acceptable! lol), iced pure snow white with a big swirly shell border, huge fluffy fall colored roses, and "Happy Birthday Melissa" perfectly scripted in orange icing across the top. Mix that with being in the presence of my family, the light coat of snow that fell while we were there, the beautiful gold earrings and necklace from my man, gorgeous bouquet of fall flowers, and I was GOOD! Talk about a fabulous blast from the past!

Sorry, Angie's doesn't have a website that I know of (maybe becuz everyone in the area knows her and everyone else!), so you'll have to take my word for it. Once I get the pic of the cake from my sister, I'll share it.

No comments: